Metabolic Interference or Disruption
Interferes with human metabolism. This can be a very serious thing. Some of these interference mechanics are well established. However, often long term effects and health consequences remain largely unknown. Additionally an emerging area of concern and one that is not currently studied, is the combined synergistic effects these metabolically disrupting chemicals have on human health.
Metabolic interference happens when the substance produces highly reactive and often damaging intermediates during detoxification or when the substance binds to specific enzymes, important structural groups on molecules, receptors and membranes or targets DNA or mimics key nutrients.
Toxic to specific organs
Can damage liver, kidney, lungs, heart or gut. Ironically liver, kidneys and gut are the main detoxifications systems.
Soluble in Water
This substance easily dissolves in water. As such it can be easily transported via waterways. Not really a nastiness attribute, but this feature helps rapidly spread other nastiness attributes this substance may have.
Volatile - Evaporates easily
This substance easily enters the air we breath. Not really a nastiness attribute, but this feature helps rapidly spread other nastiness attributes this substance may have.
Has known Side Effects
This is often the result of long or short term medication use. The same medication can have a range of side effects ranging from none at all to totally debilitating symptoms within different individuals. Reasons for this include individual genetics, individual detoxification capacity, nutrition status, duration of use and total number of medications being taken.
It becomes very difficult to establish clear causes of symptoms when multiple medications are being taken at once.
See SIDE EFFECTS LINKOUT at end of this profile.
These attributes are ONLY based on peer-reviewed evidence. See link to Data Sources below. Everyone benefits from knowing this stuff. Please Share.
- CATEGORIES: Chemical used in hydraulic fracturing fluids | Household Toxin | Animal Toxin | Food Toxin | Natural Toxin | Food Flavoring | EAFUS (Everything Added to Food in the United States) | PESTICIDE active ingredient | Inert Pesticide Ingredient USA - Food Use Permitted | Pesticide approved in USA (California) | Medication Approved in Australian (on the PBS)
- SUBSTANCE LINEAGE: Organic Compounds | Organooxygen Compounds | Carbohydrates and Carbohydrate Conjugates | Sugar Alcohols | Sugar Alcohols
- SYNONYMS: 1,2,3-Trihydroxypropane | Bulbold | Cristal | E 422 | Emery 916 | Glyceol Opthalgan | Glycerin | Glycerine | Glyceritol | Glycyl alcohol | Glyrol | Glysanin | IFP | Incorporation factor | Mackstat H 66 | Osmoglyn | Pricerine 9091 | Propanetriol | RG-S | Trihydroxypropane | Tryhydroxypropane
- DESCRIPTION: Has been used in CSG, Hydraulic Fracturing Operations (Fracking) as - Lubricant, fracturing, crosslinker, sealer | Glycerol is an important component of triglycerides (i.e. fats and oils) and of phospholipids. glycerol is a three-carbon substance that forms the backbone of fatty acids in fats. When the body uses stored fat as a source of energy, glycerol and fatty acids are released into the bloodstream. The glycerol component can be converted to glucose by the liver and provides energy for cellular metabolism.
- FORMULA: C3H8O3
- DATA SOURCES: DATA SOURCES: ARTICLE 4 | T3DB | PubChem | Article-Colborn-2010 | FracFocus | EPA in USA | US HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES | APPEA | Flavornet | EAFUS | DPR | EPA USA - Pesticide Inerts | Australian Approved Medications PBS | USA FDA APPROVED DRUG PRODUCTS
- LAST UPDATE: 28/04/2018
Mostly focused on Health Implications of Long Term Exposure to this substance
- POSSIBLE HEALTH CONSEQUENCES: Chronically high levels of glycerol are associated with Glycerol Kinase Deficiency. |
- ACTION OF TOXIN:
- TOXIN SITES OF ACTION IN CELL: "Cytoplasm", "Extracellular", "Mitochondria"
- Additional Exposure Routes: This is an endogenously produced metabolite found in the human body. It is used in metabolic reactions, catabolic reactions or waste generation. SEE MEDICATION SIDE EFFECTS
Search all of Toxno
Or browse our mind blowing but terrifying Lists