These attributes are ONLY based on peer-reviewed evidence. See link to Data Sources below. Everyone benefits from knowing this stuff. Please Share.
- CATEGORIES: Pesticide | Pollutant | Synthetic Toxin | PESTICIDE active ingredient | organic | herbicide | Pesticide or Plant Growth Regulator Approved in Australia | Pesticide approved in USA (California) | Pesticide approved or pending approval in EU
- SUBSTANCE LINEAGE: Organic Compounds | Benzenoids | Benzene and Substituted Derivatives | Benzenesulfonamides | Aminobenzenesulfonamides
- DESCRIPTION: Oryzalin is a pre-emergence surface-applied herbicide. It acts through the disruption (depolymerization) of microtubules, thus blocking anisotropic growth of plant cells. It is used for control of annual grasses and broad-leaved weeds in fruit trees, nut trees, vineyards, turfs and around ornamentals by selectively affecting physiological growth process. It can also be used to induce ploidity as an alternative to colchicine. It has a low aqueous solubility, is not volatile and, based on its chemical properties, is not expected to leach to groundwater. However, groundwater monitoring programmes have identified it as a pollutant. It generally tends not to be persistent in soil or water systems. It has a low mammalian toxicity and is a potential carcinogen. It is moderately toxic to birds, most aquatic organisms, honeybees and earthworms.
- COMMENTS: Residues of this pesticide are tested for on Australian Foods | Pesticide approved in Australia
- FORMULA: C12H18N4O6S
- DATA SOURCES: DATA SOURCES: T3DB | PubChem | EPA_IRIS | OEHHA | Consolidated Pesticide Information Dataset (CPI) from the USA EPA | Compendium of Pesticide Common Names | APVMA | DPR | EU Pesticides
- LAST UPDATE: 28/04/2018
Mostly focused on Health Implications of Long Term Exposure to this substance
- POSSIBLE HEALTH CONSEQUENCES:
- ACTION OF TOXIN:
- TOXIN SITES OF ACTION IN CELL: "Actin Cytoskeleton", "Actin Filament", "Axoneme", "Cell surface", "Centriole", "Cytoskeleton", "Cytosol", "Endoplasmic reticulum", "Extracellular", "Extracellular matrix", "Golgi apparatus", "Kinetochore", "Membrane", "Membrane Fraction", "Microtubule", "Mitochondrion", "Nuclear Membrane", "Nucleoplasm", "Peroxisome", "Plasma Membrane", "Soluble Fraction", "Tubulin"
- Additional Exposure Routes: This is a man-made compound that is used as a pesticide.
Search all of Toxno
Or browse our mind blowing but terrifying Lists