These attributes are ONLY based on peer-reviewed evidence. See link to Data Sources below. Everyone benefits from knowing this stuff. Please Share.
- CATEGORIES: Pesticide | Household Toxin | Synthetic Toxin | Indirect Additives Used in Food Contact Substances | PESTICIDE active ingredient | organic | insecticide synergists | Inert Pesticide Ingredient USA - Non Food Use Only | Pesticide or Plant Growth Regulator Approved in Australia | Pesticide approved in USA (California)
- SUBSTANCE LINEAGE: Organic Compounds | Heterocyclic Compounds | Benzodioxoles | | Benzodioxoles
- SYNONYMS: (3,4-Methylenedioxy-6-propylbenzyl) (butyl) diethylene glycol ether | (Butylcarbityl)(6-propylpiperonyl)ether | 2-(2-Butoxyethoxy)ethyl 6-propylpiperonyl ether | 5-Propyl-4-(2,5,8-trioxa-dodecyl)-1,3-benzodioxole | 6-Propylpiperonyl butyl diethylene glycol ether | alpha-(2-(2-N-Butoxyethoxy)-ethoxy)-4,5-methylenedioxy-2-propyltoluene | alpha-[2-(2-Butoxyethoxy)ethoxy]-4,5-(methylenedioxy)-2-propyltoluene | Butyl carbitol 6-propylpiperonyl ether
- DESCRIPTION: Piperonyl butoxide (PBO) is an organic compound used as a component of pesticide formulations. It is a waxy white solid. It is a synergist. That is, despite having no pesticidal activity of its own, it enhances the potency of certain pesticides such as especially for carbamates, pyrethrins, pyrethroids, and rotenone. It is a semisynthetic derivative of safrole.
- COMMENTS: Residues of this pesticide are tested for on Australian Foods | Pesticide approved in Australia
- FORMULA: C19H30O5
- DATA SOURCES: DATA SOURCES: ARTICLE 4 | CPDB | T3DB | PubChem | IARC | FDA Indirect Food Additives | Consolidated Pesticide Information Dataset (CPI) from the USA EPA | Compendium of Pesticide Common Names | APVMA | DPR | EPA USA - Pesticide Inerts
- LAST UPDATE: 28/04/2018
Mostly focused on Health Implications of Long Term Exposure to this substance
- POSSIBLE HEALTH CONSEQUENCES:
- ACTION OF TOXIN:
- TOXIN SITES OF ACTION IN CELL: "Cell surface", "Cytosol", "Endoplasmic reticulum", "Extracellular", "Membrane", "Microsome", "Microtubule", "Mitochondrial Membrane", "Mitochondrion", "Plasma Membrane"
- Additional Exposure Routes: This is a man-made compound that is used as a pesticide.
Search all of Toxno
Or browse our mind blowing but terrifying Lists